Note: This podcast was originally published in Lawfare and features its host, Checks & Balances member Bobby Chesney.
Tune in as co-hosts Steve Vladeck and Bobby Chesney weigh in on:
- The NY Times story reporting a request from AFRICOM to expand targeting authorities involving al Shabaab in Kenya in particular.
- The President’s denial, and then confirmation, that he favored trying to kill Bashar al-Assad.
- DOJ launching a criminal investigation of former National Security Advisor John Bolton.
- DOJ moving to interpose the U.S. government as defendant in a defamation suit stemming from President Trump’s answer to questions relating to rape allegations.
- A federal judge’s decision to invoke Lochner (!!!) en route to declaring various Pennsylvania public health measures unconstitutional.
- Whether the military can subject a person to court martial for an offense allegedly committed prior to a break in service, where the person already was prosecuted (unsuccessfully) in a state court.
- The latest twists and turns with TikTok and WeChat under IEEPA and CFIUS
Listen to the episode at Lawfare.